Re: Alpha newbie install woes

>     I have just built up (out of 100% donated parts) an Alpha system with a
> Samsung 164UX board (ruffian, I believe it's called), 633 MHz 21164 CPU, 256
> MB, and a motley crew of drives: 1) 2 GB SCSI Conner HD, 2) 3.5 GB EIDE HD,
> (...)
>     That's where the problem lies.  I cannot get the thing to run MILO to
> save my life.  I've tried from the CD-ROM, at scsi(0)cdrom(4)fdisk(0), and
> from floppy at multi(0)disk(0)fdisk(0).  In both cases, the system accesses
> the target device, and then stops.  Drive lights go out, and if I hit
> <Enter>, I get prompted to press a key and return to ArcsBIOS.  Attempts to
> use ldmilo instead of linload return a "this system not supported" type of
> error message.

Hi,

I have a system very similar to yours. I user AlphaBIOS+MILO originally,
as I feared -as you do now- to get my hands dirty with Alphastuff :)

I strongly suggest you to re-flash your BIOS to use SRM instead of
AlphaBIOS (some machines do in fact hold both in the EPROM, but I am not
sure about yours - mine is a 164LX, and has only room for one of the
systems). When you are in SRM, you are in a MUCH nicer environment to work
with Unix systems. It boots much faster, and is more interesting :)

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@campus.iztacala.unam.mx - (+52-55)5623-1118
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23