kernel 2.4.xx swap requirements

Hi all,

Just a quick general question regarding the minimum
amount of swap necessary with the 2.4 kernels...

I recall reading that the early < 2.4.8 kernels had
issues with swap partitions being less than 2x
physical RAM...

My two Alpha servers (currently running 2.2.19) have
2GB system drives, 1GB RAM each; they occasionally
foray about 200-300MB into swap (I've allocated
500MB).

I'd like to try a 2.4 kernel on a test box but would
like advice on swap space requirements, especially
considering the limited disk space I've got.

Many thanks in advance,
sousa

PS - I haven't seen any recent feedback on the Mylex
DAC960 support and 2.4.xx.  Any comments?