Re: mounting ufs

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Jimboy Sabolboro wrote:

> sir!
>
> need your help in mounting this scsi HD to linux box or
>  alpha server 4100. problem is like this, we have a alpha
>  server running ULTRIX then unfortunately it doesn't boot
>  now. we need to salbage the data for we dont have backup
>  for the last 5 yrs. then somebody told me that its posible
>  to mount it in linux but it does not detect the HD, what
>  we did was remove the scsi from the its caddy then tried
>  installing it linux but to no avail. we even reconfigure
>  the linux so that by chance it will detect the harddisk
>  but it did not. but we boot up it detected the scsi disk.
>  any other way in doing this. mount -t ufs /dev/rz?? /mnt.
>
> thank you for the help.
>
> ASAP.
>

> jim sabolboro
> PAG-IBIG CEBU, PHILIPPINES

when your scsi controller detects the drive, the drive will be named
according to the controller's scheme... no dec rz's.  for instance if the
existing scsi drive on that machine is sda, then the new drive will be
sdb.  the partitions will be sdb1, sdb2 etc.

 so: mount -t ufs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/xxx

where xxx is a directory you make under /mnt which will be the mount point
for that partition.

hope this helps

dave

--
Dave Mallery, K5EN  (r/h 7.2 krud; debian woody+ximian)
PO Box 520

no gates                     .~.
  no windows...              /V\
                            /( )\
running GNU/Linux           ^^-^^  (Linux TM Linus Torvalds)
  free at last!