Re: alpha/milo sparse ext2 install

Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org> writes:

> it seems the Alpha install disks when installing via Milo (i did so
> on my Multia) does not ask for ext2 kernel 2.0 backward compatibility
> as it assumes the milo is built on 2.0 kernels (Which was true for
> potato).

Hm, I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean. I changed the logic
in 3.0.21, I supposed this is what you tried? The question should
always be asked; the default should be "yes" for MILO and APB and "no"
for SRM. So you didn't see this question? Then there's a bug
somewhere....

> With woody it seems the milo is based on 2.2.16-SuSe so it should be
> feasible to enable sparse ext2 for Alpha/Milo.

Unfortunately, the 2.2 series doesn't seem to work for everybody...
OK, a cleanup suggestion:

- SRM: Never ask, just use new ext2. Nobody uses 2.0 kernels anymore.
- MILO/APB: ask if user wants to boot from this partition using
  ancient MILO/APB. If yes, enable old ext2 and force blocksize to 1k
  if yes. Default to no.

If this sounds reasonable, I will implement it after easter, OK?

        Falk