Re: Why not use GCC 3.0?

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 10:09:45PM +0100, Jerome Warnier wrote:
> I just finished the (long) installation process of a Woody on an
> AlphaServer and met a lot of problems during and after the install.
>
> The problems I had all resolved when using gcc-3.0, using the "apt-get
> -b source" method.
> That's why I wonder why not use gcc-3.0 on all binary packages for Woody.
> The problems I had resolved by themself when I changed the links to gcc,
> cpp and g++ in /usr/bin to use the 3.0 version.

Because it broke my kernel :(

I'm not game to move anything on the alpha until I have a remote chance
of everything working.  I define working as lack of kernel oops, lack of
processes going into zombie land because the FS borked again, a kernel
that compiles, and lack of nasty scary IDE error messages which imply my
drive is about to die.

And if the damn thing rebooted without going into some strange mode
where I have to press a non-existant key that would make things easier.

  - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>