Re: Milo fails on SX with 18Gb disk

Hi,

1. I caused a bit of cross-posting I'm afraid , by sending to
suse, debian and axp-hardware. Sorry.
Looks like the debian list is most active , I'll use that.
Seems that most guru's check em all. Good   :)

2. On the subject:
The disk is a ST318406LC  (Cheetah 36ES , 10krpm, sca80) or ST318405LC (
36XL), not sure.
I think Jay may have a point , my / (ext2, on sda2) partition is about 8
Gb.
I do have 1 small partition , FAT , sda1, in front of it.  So my ext2 is
not the first one on the
disk. Would that help ?

Chris,
My partition table is fine. My problem does not involve dissapearing
partiton tables.

Thanks for all suggestions.

>On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 11:57:35AM +0100, jaap.hogenberg@nl.abnamro.com
wrote:

>> I'm running an PC164SX , using milo to boot my kernel,
>> which was working fine when I used a 4.5 Gb scsi harddisk.
>>
>> Now I have put in a 18 Gb scsi disk and milo fails to load the kernel
>> from that disk , or read the filesystems on it.
>> It gives errors indicating it does not recognize the (ext2) filesystem.
>> (BTW I can load a milo off a FAT filesystem on the 18 Gb disk)

<snip>

> You didn't say, but the ext2 partition on the 18GB disk that you are
> failing to boot from, is it *really* large, or is it a *long* way from
> the beginning of the disk?
>
> If so, this may be a problem similar to the old "aboot" one, which was
> solved by defining a small )<2GB) ext2 partition fairly close to the
> start of the disk (within 2GB, IIRC), and then booting out of that.

<snip>

>Chris C. wrote:
>What kind of disk is it?  Some Seagate SCSI disks (usually the 9GB and
>18GB models) had a bug in their firmware that caused this kind of
>problem.  I've got three of them and, luckily, never needed to boot from
>them (any partition starting at the very first sector of the disk
>disappeared on reboot, but if you started on the third sector, it was
>fine).

*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised
use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly
prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change.
ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (including its group companies) shall not be liable for
the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in
this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your
system. ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (or its group companies) does not guarantee that
the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that this
communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.