Re: Vanishing Partition Table, was: Re: Milo fails on SX with 18Gb disk

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:

> Is this related to Seagate only ? I have a 4.5 GB IBM disk which shows
> simmilar behaviour: If I have the first partition mounted during boot,
> the partition table vanishes (but if I put it again in place with
> fdisk, the data is still there). I haven't tried starting the
> partition later in the disk though -- simply mounted by hand when
> needed so far.

I'm only familiar with the problem happening on Seagate drives, although
I'm sure it's possible on IBM drives as well.  I wish I could find the
link to the description of the problem, but I just swapped desktop
machines and am still out of sorts :-)

Try starting the partition at 3 and see if it vaporises then.