Re: X11 4* + export DISPLAY

On Wednesday 09 January 2002 01:11 pm, you wrote:
> Resent-
> To: debian-alpha@lists.debian.org
>

> Hi guys,
>
> I have upgraded one of my alpha machines to woody+sid.
> During upgrade X11R6 3whatever become X11R6 4whatever.
> Unfortunately I cannot export DISPLAY TO this machine anymore.
> I assume X11 has changed some flags somewhere, but unfortunately I could
> not find the right place.
> xhost seems to work but external linuxes give "permission denied".
>
> I am wondering if some X11 guru has a good suggestion for me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stefano

In /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc, try changing the following:

"exec /usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp"

to read:

"exec /usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 100 "

The X server will not listen for external tcp connections (by default for
security reasons) unless the "-nolisten tcp" option is removed.  You also
need to do this to get XDMCP to work.   This "might "be your problem.  Other
times I have seen this message is from the Xauthority file when trying to
open up a display (xterm) after su to root from a user account.  There is a
solution for this too.... but I cannot recall exactly what it is.  It has
something to do with modifying the xauthority file....I think.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-