Re: Strange man behaviour

>   When I try to view any man page, there is a strange, about 10 second,
> delay before *anything* happens. Next, man says it's reformatting the page
> etc. There is not even any disc or CPU activity during the wait. (Disc-LED
> is off; top says CPU usage is 0.0%.)

I seem to recall that you can either install man suid root, in which
case I recall the debconf screen stating it stores uncompressed copies
of the man pages for faster operation, or not suid root, in which case
(I guess) it has to decompress the file each time.

I have the same behavior on my Linux pc, where I did not install the
man binary suid root.

Marty Sanborn

--

| Martin Sanborn		     |	email	m-sanborn@nwu.edu	   |
| Department of Chemical Engineering |	phone	(847)467-1653		   |