Re: PostgreSQL 7?

On Sat, 29 Dec 2001, Kerstin Hoef-Emden wrote:

> Here is a more complete report:
>
> I am also running potato with kernel 2.2.19 and gcc 2.95.2, but on an
> AlphaPC LX164.

	Same kernel and gcc version as myself, that is a good sign. :)

> The following sources and additional files were downloaded from
> http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US/pool/non-US/main/p/postgresql/
>
> postgresql_7.1.3-4.dsc
> postgresql_7.1.3-4.diff.gz
> postgresql_7.1.3.orig.tar.gz

	Hmm... I just downloaded the source from the upstream,
ftp.us.postgresql.org and built it from that. Debian usually lags the
current version of pgsql by too much, so I just use the upstream source. I
also install pgsql in a non-standard place, and often am using development
sources as well.

> The configure procedure started and stopped first when tkConfig.sh and
> later when tclConfig.sh were needed, but for unknown reasons were not
> found. We overcame it by exporting the path e. g. "export
> TK_CONFIG_SH=/usr/lib/tkConfig.sh". Several other less dirty tricks
> didn't work out.

	Hmm... Packaging bug?

> The compilation started and ran for while, reporting a lot of "no
> previous prototype" warnings for fdimf, __fdimf, __fdim and fdim, then
> stopped with these error message:

	Yea, those fdimf, __fdimf, __fdim, and fdim warnings are annoying,
but harmless. They appear to be down in the kernel headers shipped with
Debian/Potato for Linux/Alpha, and have nothing to do with pgsql (other
than causing them to show up).

> make[5]: Entering directory
> `/database/postgres/postgresql-7.1.3/src/interfaces/perl5'
> make[5]: *** No rule to make target `pure_vendor_install', needed by
> `pure_install'.  Stop.
> make[5]: Leaving directory
> `/database/postgres/postgresql-7.1.3/src/interfaces/perl5'
> make[4]: *** [install] Error 2
> make[4]: Leaving directory
> `/database/postgres/postgresql-7.1.3/src/interfaces/perl5'
> make[3]: *** [install] Error 2
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/database/postgres/postgresql-7.1.3/src/interfaces'
> make[2]: *** [install] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/database/postgres/postgresql-7.1.3/src'
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/database/postgres/postgresql-7.1.3'
> make: *** [binary-arch] Error 2

	This looks like a packaging bug. If the build process made it this
far, then it was installing the interfaces, which happens after pgsql
proper has been built and installed. In other words, I doubt this is a
Linux/Alpha specific bug. I would file the above error messages (and the
bit about the TCL/TK problems) as a bug against the Debian pgsql package.
	In the meantime, just grab the upstream tarball and compile that.
It is really pretty easy, just untar it, then run './configure && make all
&& make install'. It will be installed completely to /usr/local/pgsql,
which you can then move where ever you want (symlink /usr/local/pgsql to
the new location). See the excellent INSTALL file included in the tarball
for more details.
	Hope this is of help. TTYL.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |