Re: netscape?

On Thursday 05 July 2001 19:45, elijah wright wrote:
> > installing the binaries, and also d/l the source and building my own
> > debs, but either way it bombs out on the mozilla-browser.postinst script
> > leaving that package unconfigured and only partially installed.  Since
>
> seen that problem before.  on i386, but same problem.  edit
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/mozilla-browser.postinst and make the problems go away.
> i forget what i took out (just commented it out and ran 'dpkg --configure
> -a' a couple times until i got it right) but mozilla worked just fine
> after that. :)
>
> elijah

I did that, and got it running in "root", but it wouldn't setup in a "user"
account.  The problem line was " /usr/bin/regxpcom >/dev/null 2>/dev/null ".
The "dpkg --configure....." step will consistantly stop with "Illegal
Operation, line 19: /var/lib/dpkg/info/mozilla-browser.postinst".  (I am
paraphrasing the error message a bit).  Strangely, if you run this command,
or even the entire script from a BASH command line, it will execute just
fine!  There may be some permission problems at work here....dunno.

I got the install to work using a "sledge-hammer" approach....maybe I will go
back and try a little finesse....<g>.

Thanks & Cheers,
-Don Spoon-