Re: kernel 2.4.5

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:

> Only problem that I had was booting SMP.  I fixed that (still need to submit
> the patch), but other than that, my uptime is 1 week so far...(UP2k).  I
> haven't tried reiserfs yet, but X seems fine, as does just about everything
> else (burning CD's, SCSI tests, IDE tests, etc).

	I've been running 2.4.5 for about a week now, and everything seems
to run ok. I haven't done much with reiserfs, except create a loop fs and
saw that it worked.

	Things I like are that in low memory conditions it acts a bit more
sanely what process to kill. Things I don't like are that the kernel is
becoming bigger and bigger and it seems that 64MB is tight. Also, there
are apparently many kernel unaligned accesses.

	devfs is spiffy, but the dereferencing of the /dev symlinks makes
df output somewhat annoying.

	The kernel compiles with gcc-3.0 at -O2 but dies on boot-up with
-O3.

	I've got a LX164 board with a 21164A processor booted through
MILO.

Greetings,
Michael.

"I'm not just a server, but I'm also a client."		Debian GNU/Linux
Michael Stroucken	stroucki@debian.org	 Is your penguin 64 bit?