Re: Alpha performance?

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 12:21:21AM +0000, Matt Jones wrote:
> Does anyone know of a program that will allow me to compare the performance
> compared to an intel machine? I am just curious to know exactly how much
> faster it is going.

This depends a great deal on what you're doing, since the processors have
different strengths.

A randomly selected program of mine (a physics sim, one that takes a
measurable time with a small stepsize) took 14.4 seconds on my Alpha
(a 21164A), and 10.8 seconds on my 850 MHz Pentium III laptop.  Since the
Alpha is two generations old (and the newer ones are about twice as fast
per MHz), it holds up fairly well.

On the other hand, I have some pathological programs (doing an excessive
amount of integer division) where my old 150 MHz laptop beat the same Alpha.

And of course, if you need to do a lot of 64-bit integer math, an alpha
will have a big advantage.

If for some reason you just want a number to compare, then
http://www.specbench.org/ is probably the best place to look.  But
individually comparing the apps of interest to you is far better.

Jon Leonard