Re: Sound + Alpha = Hell

On 2001.12.19 23:42 raptor-32@xgs.dhs.org wrote:
I'm sorry to be flooding your seemingly pretty quiet mailing list with
my problems.  But this sound card problem seems to have created quite a
stir, and i think that it would be in the interest of everyone that runs
an alpha that the reason for all the sound card issues be resolved.

So far i've tried:
-SBLive!
-Creative AWE64
-Creative Sound Blaster 16
-Crystal Sound 4280

I run an AWE64 in my LX. 2.4.16 under mostly testing/some unstable. Config:
CONFIG_SOUND=m
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m
CONFIG_SOUND_DMAP=y
CONFIG_SOUND_SB=m
CONFIG_SOUND_AWE32_SYNTH=m
CONFIG_SOUND_YM3812=m
CONFIG_PNP=y
CONFIG_ISAPNP=y

lsmod:
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P [...]
sb                      9816   2 sb_lib                 49926   0  [sb]
uart401                 8064   0  [sb_lib]
sound                  85216   2  [sb_lib uart401]
soundcore               6016   5  [sb_lib sound]
[...]

dmesg excerpts:
Linux version 2.4.16 (root@jekyl) (gcc version 2.95.4 20011006 (Debian prerelease)) #1 Mon Dec 3 21:36:56 EST 2001
Booting on EB164 variation LX164 using machine vector LX164 from SRM
[...]
isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
isapnp: Calling quirk for 01:00
isapnp: SB audio device quirk - increasing port range
isapnp: Calling quirk for 01:02
isapnp: AWE32 quirk - adding two ports
isapnp: Card 'Creative SB AWE64  PnP'
isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total
[...]
Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
sb: Creative SB AWE64  PnP detected
sb: ISAPnP reports 'Creative SB AWE64  PnP' at i/o 0x220, irq 5, dma 1, 5
SB 4.16 detected OK (220)
sb: 1 Soundblaster PnP card(s) found.

I'm running isapnptools version 1.26-1. I don't think this version needs an isapnp.conf, but I do have a straightforward one for this card left over from before.

Hope this helps.
-Doug