Re: Compiler in "testing"

"Christopher C. Chimelis" wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Donald R. Spoon wrote:
>
> > During one of my periodic updates of my Alpha "testing" install
> > recently, I noticed that it yanked the gcc-2.95-4 package and replaced
> > it with gcc-3.0.  Now when I do a "gcc -v" I get the default version to
> > be "gcc version 3.0.2 (Debian)".
> >
> > Has the Alpha "Woody" moved entirely to gcc-3.0.2 or have I messed
> > something up on this end?  The 2.95 version seems to still be the
> > "standard" for Woody on my i386 machines.  Sorry if this has been
> > discussed elsewhere and is common knowledge, but I only follow this
> > mailing list + Debian User + Debian testing + Debian KDE.
>
> That's odd...especially considering how there was never a version of
> gcc-defaults built that pointed to gcc-3.0.  Can you send me the output
> of:
>         dpkg -l gcc

dad@bilbo:~$ dpkg -l gcc

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)
pn  gcc            <none>         (no description available)

dad@bilbo:~$ dpkg -l gcc-2.95

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)
pn  gcc-2.95       <none>         (no description available)

dad@bilbo:~$ dpkg -l gcc-3.0

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)
ii  gcc-3.0        3.0.2-4        The GNU C compiler.

Chris,

The requested output is inserted above per your request.  This happened
about 2-3 nights ago, and several other packages were "removed".  I
cannot recall exactly which ones, but one of them was the kernel-source
for 2.2.19.  None were anthing "critical" so I let it go ahead.

Another thing that might be responsible, is that I was fooling around
with the Compaq C compiler a few months ago and I DID change the gcc
pointer to point to it.  I have NOT removed it (CCC) to the best of my
recollection.  This might have messed up something in the package
installer...dunno.  Currently /usr/bin/gcc is linked to gcc-3.0 and I
can't really find any reference to the Compaq C Compiler anymore....  I
forget if I have done a re-install since then or not.  I suspect I have,
which would have wiped out the previous CCC install.

I just re-installed gcc-2.95 and all is well now.  The responses to the
above "dpkg -l" commands show it there and linked properly.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-