Re: cia machine check

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Tom Vier wrote:

> while running wipe (my version) on a couple drives, i got a machine check.
> is this a dram ecc check or pci? (does pci use ecc?)
>
> Dec  9 19:16:11 zero kernel: CIA machine check: vector=0x630 pc=0xfffffc0000a03348 code=0x86

As Jay noted in
   http://www.alphalinux.org/archives/axp-list/1998/January1998/0389.html

   630 Processor Correctable correctable cache and TLB errors

For a while I got vector=0x670 machine checks, which are processor
uncorrectable cache and TLB errors. I found that in my case it was due to
overheating because the cpu fan and heat sink assembly had become full of
dust. After I blew out the parts with compressed air, I've not had the
problems since.

Greetings,
Michael.

"I'm not just a server, but I'm also a client."		Debian GNU/Linux
Michael Stroucken	stroucki@debian.org	 Is your penguin 64 bit?