Re: Slllloooowwww Alpha

At 13:44 7/12/2001, Christopher C. Chimelis sent this up the stick:

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Rob Byrnes wrote:

> Interesting, I had a similar problem, but for some reason mine were caused
> by machine checks.  Ended up putting FreeBSD on this box and don't get
> machine checks any more (weird)

Well, I'm not so sure that the FreeBSD kernel is just not showing them to
you :-P  Machine checks can be caused by a myriad of different things, but
I've seen more of them caused by bad RAM than anything else.  Did you
investigate the machine checks when you got them or did you just give
up?  (I'm curious :-P)

It was brand new RAM, ordered from Crucial. I had it replaced, but got the same problems. Checks like these *should* slow a machine down, right? Under FreeBSD, there is no noticable slowdown .... I'll try turning logging on for the checks and see if I actually am getting them

Debian Woody runs sweet on my PC64 though.

Cheers,
Rob