Re: Slllloooowwww Alpha

At 13:16 7/12/2001, Andrew Forgue sent this up the stick:
Hello,

I just installed debian on an Alpha Personal Workstation 500a (not u)
using the SRM console. And Every seems to be really slow.  The windows
in kde, gnome, or anywhere seem to take 4 or 5 seconds to completly
refresh... Would I get any performance benefit out of compiling my own kernel
and recompiling X from Source for this specific platform?

Throw anything you have at me.. Im not a newbie to linux or anything :-)

Interesting, I had a similar problem, but for some reason mine were caused by machine checks. Ended up putting FreeBSD on this box and don't get machine checks any more (weird)

Rob