AlphaPC 164SX fails to boot.

Hello,

        I had been running potato on the 164SX for a month or so
without trouble when it started issuing errors looking something like
"PYXIS .... vector ... ". This was a couple of days back - I figured
it was a h/w problem (old Maxtor IDE disk). However, the system now
simply refuses to boot up ... I don't get anything on the screen, not
even the SRM prompt. Searching the archives seems to indicate a memory
problem - but why wouldn't I get at least to the SRM prompt ? Can
anyone shed some light ?

        Thanks,

                                                  -arun