Semi-contrib packages

Greetings,

Having got the non-free cfal (Compaq Fortran for Linux Alpha, yes, the acronym is backwards :-) compiler to work using my contrib Debian packaging (realplayer-style RPM unpacker), I built PETSc using it, and WOW, is it FAST! On a 600 MHz ev5, it is more than 2.5 times as fast per MHz as a PIII/450 (IOW > double per MHz), and I haven't tested it on ev6 yet...

I made PETSc build easily with ccc/cfal/etc., which is cool for someone who knows what they're doing. But I'm wondering, would it make sense to put petsc2.1.0-dec-* in control as contrib packages? And upload them for non-power users? Can I "Build-Depends: ccc [alpha], cfal [alpha]" and still have the source package in main? Yes, it's possible to install regular and contrib PETSc packages at the same time, as well as old versions, and select between them using update-alternatives.

Just an idea at this point, but thanks for any input.

Zeen,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>