Re: 2.4.x with SMP on Alpha

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Major A wrote:

> Unfortunately, I have no patches, I simply lack the time to
> investigate these things any further. In the first place, I do
> research, installing computers like this UP2000 for friends is a
> secondary issue. And debugging it is of even lower priority. My
> programming effort goes either into research or hardware that I've got
> myself -- currently the LS-30 film scanner (improved SANE backend).

:-)  I know the feeling.  I've got quite a few archs at my house (mips,
alpha, sparc/sparc64, i386, arm, m68k) and only really spend time on a few
of them.

> I'm just really surprised that 2.4.10 could be released without
> checking it on alpha/smp -- I seem to be one of the few, if not the
> only one who tried to compile it.

Don't be surprised.  We've had quite a few flamefests about how other
archs are frequently broken on non-i386 archs and nobody finds out until
the kernels are released.  Most of the time, it's either ignored or
incompletely applied patches upstream.