Re: Library reduction on Alpha (was: Re: Alpha: aboot rescue disk)

"Christopher C. Chimelis" <chris@debian.org> writes:

> On 8 Aug 2001, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> > A short add on to mklibs.sh.
> >
> > As I see it it looks for symbols that are in two files, i.e. ash and
> > libm, and includes all matches. It thinks that all symbols that match
> > names will be needed in the library.
> >
> > Unfortunatly that will keep any and all symbols with all duplicates in
> > the library, so instead of using libc's math funktions it keeps libcs
> > _and_ libms.
>
> Ah, ok.  So, if I understand this correctly, you want to only keep the
> symbols in libc/libm that are needed by the binaries on the boot floppies,
> correct?

Right.

> If so, I may have a scheme to do this, but I would have to see
> the scripts first (I'll check them out of CVS probably tomorrow) to make
> sure they don't already try that :-)

Yah.  Right now we have two schemes.

> > mklibs.py on the other hand includes each symbol only once. Theres a
> > small hack to prefer libc symbols (althout not realy needed since libm
> > seems to be after libc) but otherwise its a first come first use basis.
>
> Ok...this script probably does what I'm thinking about then.  Is this one
> working well enough or do you want to shrink it even more?

We haven't tested it much yet.

I would prefer if the library reduction script wasn't part of
boot-floppies at all.  After all, it's really a generic function and
should be probably packaged on it's own.

Also, boot-floppies is going away after Woody and debian-installer may
have need of it as much as we do (not sure).

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>