Re: Alpha milo bootdisks, can we use SuSes?

elijah wright <elw@stderr.org> writes:

> > > I don't see the point in this. It would blow up the build time
> > > tremendously, by several hours, and we would end up with exactly the
> > > same images that we could download. Should we need to do special
> > > tweaks for Debian, we can still grab the source; it's GPL after all.
>
> would someone please grab the source and put it in the build tree
> somewhere?  i don't want to see the situation crop up again where
> only a couple of people in a couple of places have the ability to
> build milo, and where it is only buildable on a couple of kernel
> versions... [as happened a couple of years ago when jay was one of
> the few people able to build it] ..... dumping it into a buildd
> every so often would at least mean that someone was aware that it
> wasn't working at all!  :(
>
> saying "oh lets just use SuSE's images" is lame, LAZY, and really
> not very smart.  use their patches, but import the source too.

But lazyness is a virtue for programmers ;) Maybe it *would* be better
if we built our own MILOs, but currently it would simply introduce
another point of possible failure without much gain. Let's first get
everything working, then we can consider it...

        Falk