Re: PYXIS machine checks w/ 1.5GB RAM

Dear Jay and alpha lists participants:

Thanks for the advice regarding my problem with PYXIS
machine checks w/1.5GB RAM...

I've built a new 2.2.19pre7 kernel using the
Debianized source and still receive these machine
checks :-(

The vendor checked these 256MB DIMMs and found no
errors.

Strangely enough, I don't receive these machine checks
under DU4.0e, nor when I install only 512MB (2 DIMMs)
under Debian.  The machine checks reoccur when I've
got 1024MB (4 DIMMs) installed (again, under Debian).

I'm considering obtaining DEC-branded 256MB DIMMs to
see if these machine checks still occur.

My questions:
1.  Is this a worthwhile thing to do?
2.  Is this strictly a Linux kernel problem with
	PYXIS - if so, will this be resolved?
3.  Has anyone successfully used 1.5GB RAM in a
	DEC -a/-au series Personal Workstation?

Many thanks,
sousa

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 12:28:28AM -0800, sousa jack
wrote:

> I'm having a strange problem while installing Debian

> 2.2 that doesn't appear in DU 4.0e on a DEC PWS500au

> Miata...
>
> My question: does the Linux kernel (on the Debian
2.2
> boot disks) have trouble addressing large amounts of

> RAM? Or is my new memory possibly defective? Has
> anyone encountered this before?

There was a problem a while ago, with PYXIS support
(MIATA/LX/SX)
being limited to 1GB of RAM. Not a problem on LX/SX,
since they have
only 4 DIMM slots, but MIATA has 6... :-\

This was fixed... :-)

Please try (since you've tried 2.2.16 and 2.2.17 :-)
2.2.18 or,
better, 2.2.19.

Good luck.

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook Alpha Engineering - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K20 (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752
Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com