Re: no alpha boot-floppies

On 1 Jun 2001, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Nobody is working on Alpha boot floppies for Woody at the moment.
> This is a bad situation.  Unless alpha porters start working on
> getting things going for their architecture, won't that mean we don't
> have boot-floppies and Alpha will not be able to participate in the
> Woody release?

Quite the contrary...work is being done on the Alpha boot floppies, but
apparently it wasn't announced.  Ron Farrer and I will be working jointly
on them.  Ron's hit quite a few stumbling blocks (the biggest of which is
his low bandwidth problem at home), but I've been mostly unable to even
start because I don't have a woody chroot or woody system to do the builds
on (I have one alpha...it's running sid and I have no room for a chroot).

I wrote to the admin list to see if we could get a woody chroot on lully,
but I haven't heard a responce on this at all yet (over two weeks
now...and my message also stated that lully needed a kernel change due to
random lockups).

Ron put out a query for volunteers to assist and possibly take over
boot-floppies on Alpha totally.  He got quite a few responces, but nobody
is a debian devel yet, so that doesn't help much on the immediate side.

Any ideas on how we can get this done?  Without a chroot, Ron has problems
pulling even a few packages over his modem and I just don't have the room
for a chroot, leaving lully as our only alternative to work on (which, of
course, I haven't gotten any responce on).