netscape vs. libc6.1 (2.2.3-1)

Hello !
In an attempt to get php4 working I installed the latest php4 which
required to also upgrade apache and glibc. Since then I can start
netscape and the splash-screen comes up. But once I try to actually load
an URL the "loading button" is activated but that's it. It appears as
if it was unable to catch a resource, i.e. if I switch virtual
desktops back and forth it returns completely gray. At work I know it
sometimes takes several minutes until netscape "recovers" telling me
that it cannot reach a certain adress. To make sure this was not the
case I used mozilla M14 (any newer available ?) and could reach the
site without problems. Simmilarly pings to the webserver worked as
well.

I launched netscape with strace and got the following:
--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) ---
<... sigreturn resumed> )               = ? (mask now [])
--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) ---
sigreturn( <unfinished ...>
--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) ---
<... sigreturn resumed> )               = ? (mask now [])
--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) ---
osf_gettimeofday( <unfinished ...>
--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) ---
<... osf_gettimeofday resumed> {990989232, 644670}, NULL) = 103
--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) ---
sigreturn( <unfinished ...>
--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) ---
<... sigreturn resumed> )               = ? (mask now [])
--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) ---
sigreturn( <unfinished ...>
--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) ---
<... sigreturn resumed> )               = ? (mask now [])
--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) ---
osf_gettimeofday( <unfinished ...>
--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) ---
<... osf_gettimeofday resumed> {0, 0}, NULL) = 103
--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) ---
osf_gettimeofday(

here it stops.

My programm versions are:
un  libc6          <none>         (no description available)
un  libc6-bin      <none>         (no description available)
un  libc6-dev      <none>         (no description available)
un  libc6-doc      <none>         (no description available)
un  libc6-v9       <none>         (no description available)
ii  libc6.1        2.2.3-1        GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone
un  libc6.1-bin    <none>         (no description available)
ii  libc6.1-dev    2.2.3-1        GNU C Library: Development Libraries and Hea
un  libc6.1-doc    <none>         (no description available)
ii  netscape       4.7-3          Netscape prebuilt for Alpha Linux

Any help appreciated.

        Helge
--
Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.                      kreutzm@itp.uni-hannover.de