Re: Package namespace problem: what do I do?

On Mon, 14 May 2001 16:53:05 +0200
Paul Slootman <paul@murphy.nl> wrote:

> On Sun 13 May 2001, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> > On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 11:32:36AM -0500, Hilarion wrote:
> > > I have an alien'd mozilla 0.8.1, but [unstable] wants to install the repackaged
> > > M18.  I'm *still* kind of a newbie when it comes to package management.  Any
> > > good suggestions?  I've looked for options to freeze a package version, but
> > > alas.
> > >
> > > I'd like to keep the alien'd package, rather than remove it, and rpm
> > > it back.  Given that there will eventually be a "greater" version than
> > > "m18", what should I do, or speak to?
> >
> > hold it?
>
> In other words:
>
> echo 'mozilla hold' | dpkg --set-selections
>

> BTW, this isn't alpha-specific at all, you would probably get faster
> (and perhaps more eloquent?) answers from debian-user .

Ah.  I admit embarrassment, mostly because posting (or subscribing) to d-u
hadn't occurred to me.  Thank you very much, Paul; your incantation worked.
I'll subscribe there and see what else I've been missing, debian-wise.