Re: SCA-2 harddrive in an internal bay?

Gustaf Erikson wrote:

> [This is more of a hardware question than Linux. If I'm totally
> off-topic, please point me to a more appropriate forum.]
>
> I "liberated" an Alphastation 600/266 from a client. The machine has a
> 1.8 GB harddrive, which is a bit too small.
>
> I also got a 4.3 GB hardrive in a "RAID-cartridge", i.e. enclosed for
> hot swap. Not knowing any better, I unscrewed the case and got out the
> drive, intending to install it in the HD bay w/ the internal SCSI
> cables.
>
> It turns out that the drive has a SCA-2 connector (Quantum Viking II,
> digital P/N RZ2CC-PA). Can I connect the internal SCSI-cabling and
> power connection to this connector via an adapter of some kind? Or
> should I try to find a "real" SCSI disk instead?
>
> tia,
>
> /g.
>
> --
> Gustaf Erikson -+- +46 70 444 0726 -+- [http://stureby.net/]
>   "Send lawyers, guns, and money..."

I haven't actually done it here, BUT a while back I was doing some
comparison shopping on PRICEWATCH and found several places selling
"adaptors" for just this sort of thing.  This implies that it "could" be
done.  The going price was about $25-$30 U.S. per adaptor.  I actually
considered trying it until I stumbled across a better deal on a 50-pin
HD that would slip right into my ALPHA's HD bay.  You might want to
check out the available space behind the HD.  I know mine was a bit
cramped, and it could have been a struggle to fit an adaptor + connector
in there.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-