PYXIS machine checks w/ 1.5GB RAM

Hi everyone!

I'm having a strange problem while installing Debian
2.2 that doesn't appear in DU 4.0e on a DEC PWS500au
Miata...

My question: does the Linux kernel (on the Debian 2.2
boot disks) have trouble addressing large amounts of
RAM?  Or is my new memory possibly defective?  Has
anyone encountered this before?

The background:
I've just installed 1.5GB RAM (6 256MB SDRAM DIMMs)
replacing my previous 768MB.  Digital Unix doesn't
complain and nothing untoward appears in /var/adm.

I'm attempting to install Debian 2.2 on a second disk
but shortly after booting (from CD or floppies), I get
lots of PYXIS machine checks with vectors 0x620 and
0x630 (mostly the latter).  They disappear when I
reinstall my old 768MB RAM.

I've had Debian 2.2 previously installed when I had
768MB RAM and never encountered this problem, either
with the boot/CD kernel or my own custom-rolled
kernels (2.2.16, 2.2.17).

I've also tried reseating the DIMMs, cleaning the
contacts, etc. to no avail.

Any suggestions or advice before I send the memory
back to the vendor would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
sousa