Re: Alpha assembler

On Thu, 22 March 2001, Per Wigren wrote:
> Hi! I'm going to try to port Snes9x to Alpha. The problem
> is that a very small part of it is written in x86 assembler
> (nasm)... It's already ported to PPC...
>
> I don't know any Alpha-assembler, but I'm willing to learn
> enough to port the PPC or x86!
>
> How hard is it to port x86 assembler to Alpha? Will the PPC
> asm be easier to port?
>
> Where can I find free (as in beer) documentation?

Remeber - just because the x86 guys wrote it in assembler doesn't necessarily mean that you can't just write it in C. There may be a few specific instructions which don't map directly onto C equivalents, but due to things like register sizes you may find it easier to just rewrite the majority of it as C. YMMV.

Given register quantities, and orthoganality of instruction sets I'd definitely start with the PPC version.

Remember you can also ask for assistance in the alt.lang.asm newsgroup too.

Phil

http://www.shopping.altavista.com