RPMs/Alien/Compaq CC/CPML combo!

This is going to sound dumb, but you only learn by asking...

I'd like to get CCC and the CPML up and running on my fairly bare bones Alpha (Ruffian with Stable, and not much else).

I have found RPMS on Compaq's site. But I don't know what to do with them. The thread that just went past (Java) mentioned "alien", and I assume from the one line description that this will create a .deb from a .rpm. I've never even dealt with a raw .deb file yet (I am like a trained chicken, I can select things in deselect, and peck the return key occasionally!) so I don't even know what to do with the .debs after I created them!
I did a quick search for alien on  www.debian.org, and the only hits which looked vaguely relevant (_really vaguely_), were dead links.

I'm not at my machine now, but I'd like to know in advance where I should look when I get home (hasty - and I have a printer here at work for any docs I may want to refer to at length). Is there a RPM howto or suchlike? Or when I grab alien will the man page tell me everything I need to know? If I have alien do I need anything else to get CCC up and running?

Cheers for your time
Phil

http://www.shopping.altavista.com