RE: Driver disk series

I can't explain what is going on, but perhaps I can offer an
alternative.  I have done about 4-5 installs of Debian
"potato" for the Alpha using ftp.  I have a quite nice Cable
Modem connection, and everything goes quite smoothly.  If I
recall correctly, just before you get to this point you have
a question about how you want to install the "base system",
which includes the drivers.  One of the options is to
install this via ftp, and that is what I used.  If you
choose this option, then it will immediately jump to
configuring your network and selects the closest mirror then
starts the d/l.  This only works, I assume, if your ethernet
card is already detected as mine was.  Using this method, I
did NOT have to d/l and use the "driver" disks and the
appropriate file(s) was selected for me.  It looks like this
would be a viable alternative, even over a slow link for
installing the "base" system plus driver modules.  After
this is done, you will re-boot and continue the installation
and you again have a selection point on the method to
install the rest of the packages.  Just a thought....the ftp
method is really nice if you have a good link.  Much faster
than d/l and burning an iso file on a CDROM!

Cheers & Good Luck!
-Don Spoon-