Re: Why wouldn't gcc release build on Alpha ?

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Andrei A. Dergatchev wrote:

> It seems that there are some issues with stock g++ 2.95.2,
> both in stable and unstable branches, which prevent them
> to properly compile big C++ projects (such as OpenOffice).
>
> Even erroneous behavior they [stable vs unstable versions]
> produce is different.

This is a known issue and unfortunately, not easily corrected.  I have
half a patch so far that will fix it, but have been unable to find the
time to finish it (since the rest is all assembly and I just can't get
enough time to do it right).

> So, I decided to play a bit with gcc/g++ myself. However, so
> far I can't even get started - I can't ven compile gcc-2.95.2.tar.gz
> from a mirror site. Well, almost everything is compiled [this is
> unstable if it matters] but seemingly at the very end it stops:

Get the glibc 2.2 patch from the Debian source package.  If you can't find
it, let me know and I'll send it to you.

> I shall be truly grateful for any info regarding this,

Good luck.  If you'd like a more thorough description of the problem, I
can easily describe it to you :-)