Re: PHP4, try 2

On Tue 23 Jan 2001, Petr Cech wrote:

> I've experimented witt various ./configure settings on faure and when I
> remove --with-mm, which only adds as far as I know ext/session/mod_mm.c.
> This links with libmm11, which is
>  MM is a two layer abstraction library which simplifies the use of
>  shared memory between forked (and therefore closely releated)
>  processes.  It hides all platform-dependent aspects of the process from
>  the user and provides a malloc(3)-style API.
>
> But as the stock alpha build with this option enabled worked for Paul, I
> wonder it it's not a kernel bug or a disabled function of the kernel.

On what system does it segfault? Faure? I could compare strace outputs
and see where the difference is, it might give some indication of where
the problem lies.

Doesn't it dump core? Doesn't gdb say anything useful?
If it dumps in a library, maybe I have a "better" version of the
library? AFAIK faure is running potato (I haven't checked though),
and I'm running sid mostly.

> Q: Can I close the bug stating it's a kernel problem?

I'd think a little bit more research might be called for.
In my place I'd want to be pretty sure that I've explored all
possibilities before blaming it on something else; that's what
commercial helpdesks like to do (e.g. a dialup ISP: "you have problems
logging in? What are you running? Linux? The problem must be there...").

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/