Re: Installation of Debian after a RH6.0 install

Phil Carmody (fatphil@altavista.com) wrote:

Could you set your mailer to wrap lines at 70 chars or so?

> I presently have a 164UX/BX4 system (i.e. ruffian), which presently
has NT on a 2G FAT partition, that (dare I say it) I wish to keep, and
then a RH6.0 installation scattered over another half dozen or so
partitions (the contents of which I have no intention of preserving
even a single byte of). I boot into Linux via MILO (of the same age as
RH6.0). Don't ask me whether I have ARC or AlphaBios, as I can't
remember how long ago it was I last saw the boot screen.

Ruffian's ONLY have ARCS BIOS (note the "S" on ARCS).

> Milo resides on my FAT partition, doesn't it?

MILO needs to be on a FAT partition, yes.

> I simply need to point the Bios console to the new location?

Yes.

> I plan to install with the .tgz base system files on what was and
will eventually be my /home partition, but I fully appreciate that the
install process must not touch (write to) that partition during the
install process (I'll very temporarily have /home on the / partition,
I am happy adding fstab lines on my own afterwards).

I would just run the install as usual (skip doing anything with the
future /home partition until you are ready to use it).

> With all this ARC/AlphaBios/whatever plus Milo nonsense, where do I
boot from, and how? I know it's either section 6.8 or 6.9 in the
documentation, but is it both? Do I do 6.8 and then 6.9?

ARCS BIOS loads ldmilo.exe. ldmilo.exe loads MILO. MILO loads the
kernel.

> In 6.9 it says I don't have to use a floppy, but surely I can't
"boot" off my old /home partition can I?. How do I then tell Milo that
all the info it used to know about my RH system is bogus? (As I said,
I've not touched Milo for donkey's years, and haven't got a clue how I
set it up.)

Unless you have your old MILO setup to autoboot, it should just drop
you to a prompt. MILO doesn't care what distro you run, you can use
just about any MILO (as long as it's supported on your system).

Keep the MILO floppy handy just in case something goes wrong :)

If you are no longer using your RH6 partition(s), I would suggest
installing there (unless there is a reason to do otherwise) and erase
RH6. Just make sure you know which partiton your NT install is on and
that you don't accidently erase it! :)

Ron