Re: cdrecord

I think the error is being caused because the fifo ring buffer is too
small.

Try
$cdrecord fs=8000k dev=0,5,0 <file>

You can also add the folowing to /etc/sysctl.conf
kernel/shmmax = 8388608, which will make the adjustment at boot time.

Re: emacs
This is from the xemacs faq Q5.0.5, but there are some warnings, so
you might want to take a look for yourself.

(setq text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)