boot debian from SRM

hello,
I hope this is the appropriate list to ask this
question. I'm very new to linux and I have an alpha
machine that has debian installed on it. It was
working until I shut down. Now, when I boot, i get
the SRM console. I have a boot disk and i've tried
'boot dva -file vmlinuz -flags load_ramdisk=1' but i
get an error, 'failed to open dva0' i would like to
get
this machine back up, can any one give me any advice?

 Kevin