Re: mozilla on alpha

"Christopher C. Chimelis" wrote:
>On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> Is anybody else having trouble with Mozilla on Alpha?

>> Has anybody else encountered this? Anybody working on it, or
>> should I try to build a debug version and play with it in gdb?
>> [I can't find anything obviously this bug in Bugzilla.]
>
>Yes, yes, and please do :-P  I saw the same problem, which is why M18 was
>never uploaded to woody or potato.  I'm not sure yet if this is a bug in
>regxpcom or if we might've run into a bash problem.

[Why do you think this might be a bash problem?]

Well, I tried to do this. However, the gdb in potato (4.18.19990928-1)
doesn't seem to work properly for threaded programs :-<
If you take a simple thread-using program (eg, the example code in bug
74525) and run it under gdb, you immediately get:

Program received signal ?, Unknown signal.
__sigsuspend () at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/alpha/sigsuspend.S:42
42      ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/alpha/sigsuspend.S: No such file or directory.
Current language:  auto; currently asm

and if you try to continue it (eventually) hangs somehow so ctrl-C won't
bring it back to the gdb prompt (you have to kill it from another xterm).
Running the program not under gdb produces the expected results.
[I know this works on intel.]

Any ideas here? If I take the plunge and upgrade to unstable in the
hopes that a newer gdb will fix this, am I likely to run into any
nasty libc breakage or similar?
(I'd really rather stay with potato or potato-plus-a-few-things
if possible, and IME upgrades to unstable always seem to require
upgrading most of the critical system components :-<)

Peter Maydell