Booting (and Installing) my noname axp33pci

Hi Debians

After using debian for years on various ix86's. And having tried it
on my 2 noname's a few times (without succes). I have finally gotten some
further with my debian-alpha conquest.

System: noname alpha 166 axp33pci board
ncr810 scsi
yamaha cdr400 cdrom (with 512 sector jumper set)
2 GB seagate scsi HD
Floppydrive (not working ??, see below)
NE2000 ISA network card (have intel eepro100pci if needed in other machine)
S3 Virge DX videocard

It's running the SRM firmware

I can now boot from the Slink Alpha 1 cdrom with:
boot dka0 -file boot/noname/linux -flag "root=/dev/fd0"

and this will load and bootstrap the kernel untill it gets to trying to
mount the root filesystem.

The problem is only, I don't have one yet... duh...

I have a 2GB scsi disk and a SCSI Yamaha writer to boot the cd-rom from.
Also included in the system is a floppy-drive. I have used dd to copy the
root image to the floppy, but the kernel won't load it, it isn't even
accessing the floppy, so I think the fd0 controller is either badly
configured or not working (since the floppy light never ever lights up,
and the drive never spins up, even though the same drive works perfectly
in my ix86 systems)

The floppy is also reported to be 2.88MB (I read that this is normal)

Is there a way I can boot fully from CDROM like I can do on the 2.2 intel
cd-s (lilo: rescue) and load the root fs from cd-rom, or do I need floppy.

Are there any other ways to get the system booted (should it be that the
fd0 controller is dead)

I'm currently downloading potato-alpha-cd1... will this be able to boot
from cd only (so no more floppies ???)

Please reply to my directly, since i'm not on the -alpha list

Mark Janssen                     Unix Consultant @ SyConOS IT
E-mail: mark@markjanssen.homeip.net    GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
http: markjanssen.homeip.net and markjanssen.[com|net|org|nl]
Fax/VoiceMail: +31 20 8757555     Finger for GPG and GeekCode