Re: trouble installing 2.2rev0a on a pc164lx

Michael Kane schrieb:

> After I completed the sucessful installation, I went back
> and tried to get the root file system on the installation cd to boot (just
> because it was annoying me that I couldn't) and was still unable to get
> the root file system on the installtion cd to work.

I can´t remember that I read anywhere that booting off of the
a Linux installation CD should work on ARC/AlphaBIOS systems
(RedHat, SuSE, alphalinux.org). The debian docs aren´t *that*
clear in this respect ("If you have a CD which is bootable, and
if your architecture and system supports booting from a CD-ROM,
you don't need any floppies.").

Well, I should have known that ARC/AlphaBIOS machines don´t fit
into these class of systems. I tried it nevertheless and maybe
caused some troubles for other users by asking spurious questions
on this list (I wasn´t the first to do that). I apologize for that.

The questions persist ("Why doesn´t it work?"), but it doesn´t
seem easy to find an answer ...

Greetings,
Stefan Schroepfer