Re: Wanting Debian to co-exist with another OS on Alpha - any hints of installation ?

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 01:53:36AM +0100, scr wrote:
> Not true. Think of a binary that was built assuming
> "Set#1" of shared libraries. Now boot another Linux
> distribution, which provides "Set#2" of these libs.
> Usually the old binary will not work. You will have
> to recompile your binary from source.

Strictly speaking, you are correct, but most people don't keep compiled
binaries in /home. (I keep mine in /usr/local. Of course, a shared /usr/local
is another matter entirely. ;-)

Yes, library versions are a problem and probably the main reason that two
distros on one machine is inconvenient.

--
Henry House