Re: XFree86 4.0.1 on XL 266 (Thinks it is a Jensen)

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Ghandi wrote:

> I tried stabbing into the XF code and found that it detected Jensen's by
> the _bus_base() function (Jensen-like machines return NULL it seems), but
> that's as far as I got (and my Alpha architecture knowledge is somewhat
> limited).  There definitely is a lack of XFree4 Alpha docs.  I appreciate
> anything you can find out about this.

_bus_base() is, indeed, the function in question.  It does much more than
just detect whether or not the machine in question is a Jensen,
though.  For some reason, on the XL that you have, it's not returning the
values that it should, unfortunately.  I'll see if I can write some code
today to see what the return value of _bus_base() is on your
machine.  I'll also dig into the glibc code a bit for more info (since the
function is totally undocumented in the standard docs).

Do you have any technical docs on your XL, by any chance?  I think I have
some, but I'm not sure yet...

> Spending some quality time in console-land never hurt anyone :).  Thanks,
> again.

No problem.  I'll work on that code right now.  With the glibc compilation
out of the way now, I can work on this a bit while waiting for another
test-compile of Qt churns.