Re: XFree86 4.0.1 on XL 266 (Thinks it is a Jensen)

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Ghandi wrote:
>
> > Has anyone gotten XFree 4 to run on any of the XL machines?  I recently
> > upgraded to woody and have been unable to get X to run since.  Everything
> > I try, it dies with:
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > Jensen is not supported any more
> > If you are interesetd in fixing Jensen support
> > please contact xfree86@xfree86.org
> >
> > But my machine isn't a Jensen!  It's an XL 266.  I have tried it with a
> > Matrox M200 and an S3 Virge, both give the same results.  The full log is
> > attached.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Looks like I was right.  It seems that the XLs are not returning sparse
> and dense mem base addresses, like most post-Jensen Alphas.  It seems that
> there is some Jensen support code in the sources, but why it's not being
> compiled in yet is something I'm not sure of at this time.  I'll continue
> to look into this.  Again, obviously, since I'm the only one of the Debian
> folk that's even attempted to compile this on Alpha, we're definitely in
> new territory, so be patient :-)

I tried stabbing into the XF code and found that it detected Jensen's by
the _bus_base() function (Jensen-like machines return NULL it seems), but
that's as far as I got (and my Alpha architecture knowledge is somewhat
limited).  There definitely is a lack of XFree4 Alpha docs.  I appreciate
anything you can find out about this.

> I've got a ton of things to catch up on today (including a glibc
> compilation), so bear with me if I can't follow up on this right away.

Spending some quality time in console-land never hurt anyone :).  Thanks,
again.