Re: compiling

> Hi,

> I try to compile a program, but neither the gcc nor the ccc run through.
>
> gcc stops with the following message:
>
> cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
> make: *** [command.o] Error 1
>
> Is this a problem of the source code, or the compiler itself?

It points towards a compiler problem. Based on my experience, it may well be triggered
by some faulty source. Hard to tell, without source ;-)
If you run 2.95.2 on Debian 2.2, that compiler can be considered quite stable.
you might check, if the compiler package along with the relevant libs are still
in place, by checking sizes and permissions against the deb's.

> I tried as well the ccc, but here it spits out the info that the libcpml
> is truncated. Having a look at the file, I had to realize that it is 0
> bytes in size. The ccc and its libs were installed from the Linux Alpha
> Power Tools CD (July 2000) and debianised with alien. The paths were
> changed, some links changed to adapt it to debian. At first I thought,
> that the CD archives might be defective, so I downloaded the libcpml
> again from the website, but again the file contains nothing. What is
> going on here? Did something go wrong with the debianisation?

This is a funny one. It seems to be due to the fact, that the rpm postinstall-script
scrambles this big time. To "manually" fix things, try the following procedure:

1. cd  to the proper cpml-directory. In my case ( different version, 5.0.0 ), it is
    /usr/lib/compaq/cpml-5.0.0
2. run the following command, in that directory:
    ld -shared -o libcpml_ev6.so -soname libcpml.so -whole-archive libcpml_ev6.a -no-whole-archive -lots
    ( I *really* hope, I did not do any typos ;-)
3. Try it.

Honestly, I have not tried to use cpml, but the above should fix it. Note, that you *do* need the
correct  ar(1) archive, libcpml_ev6.a. Also note, that the above applies to the ev6 version. If you
need ev5 or the like,. make sure to adjust the filenames accordingly.

I you wouldn't mind, please let me know, if the above works. I'm preparing a little
document on installing/using the Compaq compiler-toolchain on Debian.

Yes, I'm sick of people thinking , the very closed rpm-format is the top of the world ;-)

> These are the versions:
>
> gcc version 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)
> ccc-6.2.9.504-2
> cpml-5.1.0

uhmm. Might consider an update, then. Appears, that I'm a bit behind....

> Regards,
>
> Kerstin

Greetings from Duesseldorf 8-) ( International audience: this is a _very_ local and german
                                               thing - don't worry ;-)

Regards,
T. Weyergraf