Re: Complete kernel crash [Was: Re: dpkg failure trying to changeownership of a symlink ...]

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, elijah wright wrote:

> > My kernel was ancient: 2.0.34.  So I grabbed the source for 2.2.17pre6
> > from the source directory, built it and rebooted - and got a complete and
> > utter crash.
> > I'm long out of practice.  My milo is from kernel 2.0.30, which could be a
> > things, like the date is 1970, and I've been getting lots of messages
>
> i had similar problems with my alpha for a while.  (couldn't boot new
> kernels from my 2.0.30 milo disk, which i'd had since i got the
> machine)... the fix was to reinstall and make it boot from SRM, "the way
> it should be".... :)

Ah, thanks.

I don't have SRM, so I won't be able to do that.  Do I just need a new
milo then, do you think?

If old milos can't boot new kernels, can new milos boot old kernels? ...

Cheers,

Nikhil.

| Nikhil Nair                    |                                 |
| Department of Chemistry        | Tel.:  +44 1223 336350 (lab)    |
| University Chemical Laboratory |        +44 1223 368353 (home)   |
| Lensfield Road                 | Email: nn201@cus.cam.ac.uk      |
| Cambridge                      |        nnair@pobox.com          |
| CB2 1EW                        |                                 |
| England                        |                                 |