dpkg failure trying to change ownership of a symlink ...

Hi,

I'm having a lot of trouble doing anything with dpkg just now - I can't
install libncurses5, so I can't upgrade dpkg itself even.

My system has been upgraded very slowly - mainly slink now, I think.  I
recently upgraded libc6.1 since I wanted to install something which
depended on it, and I'm now getting this problem.

While trying to install things, I get errors like
   Error trying to change ownership of symlink xxx: Function not
implemented

Any help *very* much appreciated ...

Cheers,

Nikhil.

| Nikhil Nair                    |                                 |
| Department of Chemistry        | Tel.:  +44 1223 336350 (lab)    |
| University Chemical Laboratory |        +44 1223 368353 (home)   |
| Lensfield Road                 | Email: nn201@cus.cam.ac.uk      |
| Cambridge                      |        nnair@pobox.com          |
| CB2 1EW                        |                                 |
| England                        |                                 |