Re: X problem

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 01:06:23PM +0200, Ralf HECKHAUSEN wrote:

> I installed Debian 2.2 on an AlphaStation 255/233 and everythings
> works fine, but I cannot get X run.  XF86Setup without using the
> XF86Config file switches to graphics mode but the screen is
> scambled. It looks as if 8 subsequent bytes in the video memory are
> filled with the same contents.  SuperProbe returns S3 Trio64 with
> 2MB video memory. If I use the S3 server with this video card
> selected, the machine hangs.

At one time, there was a problem (X 3.3.x hanging the machine)
encountered most frequently on the AS2xx machines equipped with a
Trio64 card. The problem was worked around by inserting (IIRC):

	Option	"no_pci_disconnect"

into the "Device" section of the XF86Config file.

Good luck, hope this helps...

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Engineering - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K20         (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com