Potato/164LX - Errors from xkbcomp, Fatal server error, cannot open mouse

Hi,

I have the same message as this post to the newsgroup a while ago.
Didn't seem to be a followup to the Xserver error. I just installed
2.2rev0 to an Alpha PC164LX.

> To: debian-alpha@lists.debian.org
>     Subject: potato installation
>     From: Qin Tao <qtao@mars.iol.unh.edu>
>     Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:06:05 -0400
> I installed debian 2.2 by using nfs.But when I run "startx", I get an
> error message like :
>
> "System: `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp -w 1 -R/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb
> -xkm
> -m us -em1 "The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:" -emp ">
> " -eml "Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server" keymap/xfree86
> compiled/xfree86.xkm'
> xinit:  connection to X server lost."

additionally I get
"Fatal server error, cannot open mouse"

During the setup I chose /dev/mouse but there is no mouse device in
/dev.
XF86 setup seemed to go fine with no errors on the errror console. Is
this error just because there is no mouse device? Or are there two
errors here?

Actually I just blew away a RedHat 6.0 to upgrade to Debian :-)
Mike
Michael Lake
Active caver, Linux enthusiast and interested in anything technical.
Safety Convenor, Australian Speleological Federation
Owner, Speleonics (Australia)