Re: Debian 2.2 on Alphastation 255

> On Sep 13, Duane Eddingfield scratched in indelible ink :

<snip bootage problems>

there are many AS255s floating around happily running linux. :)
Are you booting from the SRM console or alphabios?
if SRM, then you will need to set 'srm boot' and machine type Avanti in the
kernel 'make config'

If Alphabios, I don't know how to help you, as that was the first thing that
disappeared off mine when I got it ;)

>    Also this machine has a "Microsoft Sound System" on the motherboard.
> Which module do I use for it? I've grep'ed the module source and tried
> modprobe on several but I always get the "Device or resource busy"
> error. Menuconfig lists the MSS but exactly which module does that mean??

yes this does work.  if you type 'make config' for your kenerl, select OSS
sound modules, and selesct Microsoft SOund system.
I have always compiled the support statically in  my kernels, ...  with
specified io, irq dma info.
with modules, try:
depmod mss.o io=0x520 irq=11 dma=1

or similar.  they are the options that can be specified in the kernel.
If you are booting from the srm console, also check to see that the console
knows about the sound card and has activated it.
type
>>>show device
or
>>>iconfig        (isa config)

and it should show you the io and inturrupts for the PCXBJ device -- the sound card.
If it does _not_ show up, type:

>>>add_sound

which is an alias for a couple of isacfg commands, and that should enable the
sound subsystem.

HTH, HAGD
--
Jean-Paul Blaquiere             ||   Avatar of Computational
   japester@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au   ||   Thaumaturgy