Debian 2.2 on Alphastation 255

Hi:

   I've installed 2.2 (potato) on my Alphastation 255. I installed the kernel source package 2.2.17pre6 and compiled it along with the modules but I cannot boot it. The 'generic' kernel works fine other than no sound, and as well I want to remove uneeded stuff, so I re-compiled. The boot hangs soon (about 5 secs) after it correctly detects the stock Symbios 53C810a disk controller. The error is that it timed out on scsi target 0 and the machine is hung. I have compiled a few variations but no joy :(

   I build the source in the usual Alpha way with "make boot', make modules, etc. I even used the /boot/config-2.2.17-generic and only changed the machine type to "Avanti" and that won't boot!! It also does not detect the floppy controller properly either, but that's not a big problem as this box does not have a floppy drive...

   Again, I used the kernel-2.2.17pre6 package. Is this not the one to use? Its the same as the running version. How come the "generic" binary works fine but the one I build does not. I have RedHack installed successfully on my Jensen so I am familliar with running Linux on Alpha and it actually work very well :-)

   I can provide the output from dmesg if anyone wants..

   Also this machine has a "Microsoft Sound System" on the motherboard. Which module do I use for it? I've grep'ed the module source and tried modprobe on several but I always get the "Device or resource busy" error. Menuconfig lists the MSS but exactly which module does that mean??

Thanks for any suggestions and for an excellent Linux distribution,

</Duane>